There are several steps that can be taken to help prevent the spread of RSV, particularly for young children, the elderly and those with a compromised immune system. While research is ongoing, there is not yet a vaccine available to prevent RSV as there is for the flu. Therefore, preventing the transmission of the virus is critical.
- Cough or sneeze– cough into the crook of the arm and cover sneezes with a shirt, tissue or arm. Never cover a cough or sneeze with the hands!
- Scrub hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, paying attention to the top of the hands and in between the fingers. Apply My-shield® hand sanitizer to protect hands for up to 4 hours
- Avoid close contact with others-no hugging, kissing, shaking hands. Avoid sharing cups or eating utensils with others
- Frequently clean and disinfect high touch surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and mobile devices. Utilize My-shield® Broad Spectrum Disinfectant.
There are several steps that can be taken to help prevent the spread of RSV, particularly for young children, the elderly and those with a compromised immune system.
Anyone with respiratory issues should be cautious and not interact with children who are at high risk for severe RSV disease, including premature infants, children under two with chronic lung or heart conditions, children with weakened immune systems, or children with neuromuscular disorders. Also refrain from kissing high-risk children while they have cold-like symptoms.
Parents of children under 2, the elderly and those most susceptible to becoming infected with RSV should consider the following guidelines:
- Avoid close contact with sick people
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching their face with unwashed hands
- Limit the time spent in childcare centers or other potentially contagious settings during periods of high RSV activity. This may help prevent infection and spread of the virus during the RSV season.
My-shield® Broad Spectrum Disinfectant can aid in the prevention and transmission of RSV by frequently cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces and high traffic areas.